Historic Environment Scotland is the lead public body established to investigate, care for and promote Scotland’s historic environment.
As Historic Scotland, a sub-brand of Historic Environment Scotland, we care for over 300 properties and sites throughout Scotland, and have 77 manned sites across the country where expert staff share their site knowledge with visitors every day. We also offer a membership that will give you free access to our sites and many of our events, and that helps us look after Scotland’s heritage.
The Chain Mail is our way of giving you a look into all the work that goes on behind the scenes – from organising events and interviewing historians to creating new exhibits and looking after our sites.
From castles and palaces to brochs and cathedrals, here are some things you may not know about us:
- At the height of the busy summer season, we have approximately 1,300 people working with us all over Scotland.
- Skara Brae on Orkney was inhabited before the Egyptian pyramids were built, and flourished for centuries before construction began at Stonehenge!
- We organise hundreds of events each year, from Ranger guided walks to Spectacular Jousting.
- We look after Edinburgh Castle – the number one paid-for place to visit in the UK, outside of London!
- More than 3 million visitors come to our sites every year.
- Dallas Dhu in the Speyside region is the only state-owned distillery in Scotland. We also look after a working military barracks in Fort George!
You can find out more about how we operate on our website, and we hope you’ll subscribe to the Chain Mail for pictures, stories, news and more.